Do you love a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee but aren't sure what to do with all the leftover coffee grounds? Here is an idea!
Try our zero-waste vegan body scrub recipe you can easily make at home and enjoy a refreshing spa treatment that will get your skin glowing just in time for warmer days (and showing off a bit of skin 😉).
This DIY coffee scrub not only helps to exfoliate and combat skin dryness (dry hands or shins anyone?), so that all your lotions and potions can absorb better and work their magic. It also helps to improve blood and oxygen circulation, provides a gentle and relaxing massage and helps reduce those pesky ingrown hairs.
All you need is probably already in your cupboard and is enough for one-time use:
- 7 tablespoons of used coffee grounds*;
- 6 tablespoons of organic plant oil - grapeseed, sunflower, virgin olive oil will be perfect;
- optional - 5-7 drops of your favourite essential oil**;
- a small bowl and a tablespoon.
* - you may use the coffee grounds as soon as they cool down, but if you wish to store them for later, make sure they are left to dry in a bowl without a lid so that they don't spoil.
** - for a relaxing nighttime spa ritual we recommend lavender or jasmine, and if you need a boost of positive energy sweet orange or neroli will be excellent. You can blend your own favourite essential oils as long as you don't add more than 5-7 drops in total.
To make the body scrub:
- Take a small bowl;
- Measure out the coffee grounds into the bowl;
- Add organic plant oil;
- Add 5-7 drops off essential oil;
- Blend all the ingredients together and use the entire mixture within 1 day.
How to use:
Your lovely spa body scrub is ready! Now you can relax, get in the shower (before you turn the water on) and gently massage the scrub into your body and hands in a circular motion, starting from the legs and going upward towards your heart. Take a deep breath and enjoy your special self-care moment. Then wash the scrub off with warm water and a small amount of moisturising soap to help rinse off the coffee. Follow up with your favourite body lotion (like our Selkie Hand & Body Lotion) to further nourish, soften and moisturise your skin. That's you ready to glow!
As with all exfoliating treatments, one to two times per week is enough to maintain smooth, healthy and soft skin.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY zero-waste body scrub recipe. Please let us know if you have tried it and whether you liked it in the comments below!