I'm sure you've heard the phrase "cool as a cucumber"? It's because cucumbers are made up of 96% of water, which gives them wonderful cooling and refreshing properties.
Try our simple homemade cooling cucumber eye pads recipe that costs almost nothing but works magic on tired, puffy eyes!
Cucumber eye pads are great for:
- reducing eye puffiness - the coolness constricts blood vessels dilation and swelling, relieving puffy eyes;
- dry under-eyes - cucumbers can deliver a great hydration boost improving appearance of skin around the eyes;
- combat dark undereye circles - cucumbers contain vitamin K and can temporarily reduce dark circles arounf the eyes;
- tired eyes - enjoy a fresh scent of a cucumber and a cool compress in one; amazing for dry, tired eyes after hours of computer work and blue light exposure.
You will need:
- 1/2 fresh cucumber (ideally organic), unpeeled;
- a smoothie maker or kitchen blender;
- a small bowl;
- 10 cotton pads;
- baking paper cut into 10 squares roughly the size of a cotton pad;
- 1 small freezer bag for storage.
Making the eye pads:
- Chop the cucumber into smaller pieces and put in a smoothie maker or a blender; blend until cucumber liquifies;
- Pour into a small bowl and gently soak each cotton pad in the cucumber juice;
- Gently squeeze out liquid excess from each pad;
- Place a baking paper square between each cotton pad and put into a freezer bag; seal carefully;
- Put them in a freezer to store for up to 2 weeks.
To use the eye pads:
Take two eye pads out of the freezer bag and thaw for 20 minutes. After this time, simply place the pads over your eyes and relax for 15 minutes enjoying the cooling effect and fresh scent of your all-natural cucumber eye pads!
Not in the mood for DIY but need a cooling eye compress?
Use our soft-linen Lavender and Flaxseed eye pillow as a cold compress to relief and soothe puffy eyes. To use it as a cold compress, wrap the eye pillow in a bag or fabric (to protect the pillow from getting dirty) and place in freezer for 30-60 minutes before use.
I hope you've enjoyed this simple homemade skin care recipe that works so well you may not need an eye cream anymore! Let us know in the comments if you liked it.